Incognito remains on retired list as Bills open offseason program

General manager Brandon Beane doesn't get into detail on the guard's situation

Sal Capaccio
April 16, 2018 - 2:50 pm

Photo: Rich Barnes - USA TODAY Sports

Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane didn’t want to get into specifics regarding Richie Incognito’s situation when he met with the media Monday after the team’s first offseason conditioning session. Incognito was not present for the workout.

“I’m not going to really get into detail,” Beane said before answering questions pertaining to the team’s plans for the 2018 NFL Draft. “Richie’s on the reserve/retired list, which is not a part of our 90-man roster. That’s really where we’re at.”

Last week, Incognito said he was retiring from football due to health issues. The Bills then placed him on the reserve/retired list. But over the course of the next few days, he began tweeting things that seemed to indicate he may still want to play, including asking the Bills to release him from his contract.

The 34-year old Pro Bowl guard recently took a pay cut to stay in Buffalo, reducing his salary in half from $6.2 million to $3.1 million. Incognito was still under contract for one more season, which means the Bills will continue hold his rights unless they decide to release him. He can’t simply play for another team.

If any player wants to return to the field after retiring, he has to request through the commissioner to be reinstated. The Bills went through the same situation last year with wide receiver Anquan Boldin. They retained his rights for the entire season and ultimately released him last month.

When asked about his social media behavior over the last week, Beane said, “I don’t think it’s really the time to get into it. Let’s leave it as-is”, and that he wanted to focus more on draft-related questions.


Follow me on Twitter @SalSports

Comments ()